View unanswered posts
View active topics
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:03 am

kclifford
Post  Post subject: Leaving the LDS Church  |  Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:20 am
Nursery

I was a devoted member of the LDS Church for over 25 years. I left 4 years ago. My husband and 2 of my 6 children are still active members. It's been a tough journey. My new book, "SHADOWS OF TRUTH" is now available for purchase in paperback or Kindle edition at Amazon.com or https://www.createspace.com/5790231.
"...in the LDS Church you are highly discouraged from getting information from outside sources. You are, in fact, taught that to even look or to question could lead to apostasy. Why? If everything being taught is true, then what is there to fear? If truth lies elsewhere and you find it, again I ask, what is there ti fear? As Jesus said, "the truth shall make you free." There is nothing to fear from truth unless you have something to hide. Truth can withstand rigorous examination...a lie cannot tolerate it."

richkelsey.org
Post  Post subject: Re: Leaving the LDS Church  |  Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:46 pm
God of Elves, Seer Stones and a Hat

kclifford wrote:
I was a devoted member of the LDS Church for over 25 years. I left 4 years ago. My husband and 2 of my 6 children are still active members. It's been a tough journey. My new book, "SHADOWS OF TRUTH" is now available for purchase in paperback or Kindle edition at Amazon.com or https://www.createspace.com/5790231.
"...in the LDS Church you are highly discouraged from getting information from outside sources. You are, in fact, taught that to even look or to question could lead to apostasy. Why? If everything being taught is true, then what is there to fear? If truth lies elsewhere and you find it, again I ask, what is there ti fear? As Jesus said, "the truth shall make you free." There is nothing to fear from truth unless you have something to hide. Truth can withstand rigorous examination...a lie cannot tolerate it."

Hello kclifford.

From my perspective, it's nice to see you quoting Jesus. I have a lot of questions and they will probably be covered in your book which I plan to read either soon, or, probably next winter depending on a PM I sent you.

Welcome to the board.

productofchoice
Post  Post subject: Re: Leaving the LDS Church  |  Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:35 pm
God

Welcome KClifford :)

My Brother in Law is out and his wife and kids are out, though they are loosening up their grip. It helps when you find community and peace with the situation I think, or at least it has him ... and I think when peace settles in, people are more willing to check and challenge their own beliefs. When peace settles in people are more attracted to the alternatives.

Of course feelings are a lousy indicator of truth. I cried at Bambi and it was a made up story about a cartoon deer. I was agitate by Schindlers' List and yet the holocaust really happened. Feelings are a lousy truth indiator...

Good luck with the family.

Peace

"For nothing is secret, that shall not be made manifest; neither any thing hid, that shall not be known and come abroad." - Luke 8:17

Melanie
Post  Post subject: Re: Leaving the LDS Church  |  Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:46 pm
myself

Hi Welcome

It is interesting you write that there is nothing to fear from truth. I affirm that, when used in its correct context, (the scripture meaning knowledge of God will set one free) and in the face of Christ (and having relationship with Him and believing and acting on what He says) and His love and Grace, then there is nothing to fear, although at many times it can seem that there is.

Truth here (as you quote John 8 v 32) is a very different thing from a secular use of the word truth.

There is a heck of a lot to fear for someone who is tbm starting to look at exactly what Mormon doctrine is and who will, with integrity, work through what they are going to do with all this factual data and information about the false and unhelpful claims of Joseph Smith.

And that journey can and is done by us all and very well with or without Christ.

Because a life worth living and living well is not built upon a foundation that is easily proven to be dodgy. Respect yourselves.

So I say to our Board readers, yes, there may well be natural fear and concern for what one may find when one examines the LDS church doctrines but what one gains when one does face up to that is going to be worth it a million times over, and you will not be alone. You will get there. And if that journey leads you to Christ then that, from my perspective is beautiful, and if it does not , then that is OK because you are a powerful human being walking your journey. And you are brave and strong and the future waits............

We all have our own journeys. Celebrate yours. :)

mufasapenny
Post  Post subject: Re: Leaving the LDS Church  |  Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:28 pm
Sunbeam

thats what i did was start to research because my gut kept telling me something wasnt right.although i think it was the holy spirit.i was appalled by what i found.some of the things that i found was that joseph smith was a freemason and they are a secret society and have the same symbols on the temples and same ceremonies. the inverted star symbols in the freemasons and they are all over the temples.i was having demonic nightmares after i was baptized in the church which i attributed to my meds and sleep paralysis but around the same time i was in the church.i also didnt read the book of mormon because i knew it wasnt the true word of god.i resigned in july this year and it only took 2 weeks.

Abinadi
Post  Post subject: Re: Leaving the LDS Church  |  Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:14 pm

Welcome, Kclifford. By the time the Church and I went our separate ways, my Mother was the only family member who still believed. I had to be diplomatic, and came near to upsetting her once with a comment I made that I had thought was rather innocent. Today, thank Kolob, she, too, has determined to go her own path rather than the path of the visiting haranguers and aaronic taxmen. ;)

The only people I could go to were Arthur Budvarson and Hal Hougey, in their writings. Then I found Jerald and Sandra Tanner. Still a hard, lonely path. Until I came across this forum and learned over time that I wasn't the rare, exceptional son of perdition, but just another bloke who took his blinders off. :)

It took me more than four years to get over some of my problems relating to my inordinate devotion to "the Church" rather than to God or some value her than a man-made institution. Congratulations on your Day of Liberation. And may the same light that has shone on you soon shine on the rest of your family, dispelling their mormonic darkness.