View unanswered posts
View active topics
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:39 pm

ecravn
Post  Post subject: How does the LDS church determine if you are tithing 10%  |  Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:19 pm
Nursery

So the tithe should be like 10% of the church members gross or net income.

So when the church offers the settlement discussion, is this because they somehow have determined that the member is not giving 10%?

And in any case how do they determine whether there are any tithing related issues that stops them from giving a temple recommend?

Do they ask for the members income information, such as paystubs or tax returns for this purpose?

Abinadi
Post  Post subject: Re: How does the LDS church determine if you are tithing 10%  |  Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:18 pm

Not sure of an exact answer.
When I was a Mormon, they asked directly, "Do you pay a full tithing," and accepted what I said.
However, in my Mother's case, I'm not sure what was going on, but they refused to give her a temple recommend, and as a result of that (and perhaps another issue), she stopped paying tithing altogether. Now she doesn't want anything to do with them. It took her years; she was the last in our family to finally turn her back on the manipulative, uncompassionate, self-serving "leaders".

Rainfeather
Post  Post subject: Re: How does the LDS church determine if you are tithing 10%  |  Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:25 am

Except for when I worked for the Church and therefore they knew exactly how much I made, all they do is ask you, "Are you a full tithe payer?"

They want 10% of your gross income. I know people who've had a discussion with their Bishops about just paying via net amount, but they usually get guilted into making sure that it's their gross pay.

There's nothing to stop you from lying about your income, but I don't personally know anyone who has ever done that, or admitted to it.

Everyone has a tithing interview at the end of the year. It's standard operating procedure. You're there to make an accounting of your tithing status.

productofchoice
Post  Post subject: Re: How does the LDS church determine if you are tithing 10%  |  Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:43 am
God

My experience was also that they asked if I was a full tithe payer and they defined that as gross income. That wasn't always the case. Once upon a time they were on net profit but maybe that's like taxes on employees vs taxes on business owners.

Peace

"For nothing is secret, that shall not be made manifest; neither any thing hid, that shall not be known and come abroad." - Luke 8:17

Melanie
Post  Post subject: Re: How does the LDS church determine if you are tithing 10%  |  Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:38 pm
myself

Well, when people are living and trying as LDS, they will want to be honest. I know about this situation , not vagaries that might occur when someone is disillusioned or inactive. In my experience they trust what one says, I was never asked to show proof. There is a lot of support for people who wish to pay a full tithe but just can't make the payments, in my ward, people would get help with bills and shopping and so forth so that their money could be used for the tithe and they would be able to have a recommend. It is important to see a full picture when you are making conclusions. I never had a tithing interview other than the Bishop asking me once in a corridor if I was a full tithe payer, and then of course when I had interviews for my recommends and perhaps my patriarchal blessing. The LDS religion is based on people fulfilling the Old Testament laws and this is the context here and it is important to remember that, it is not something they just made up from nowhere in a secular way to make people pay, not at its heart it isn't. It is a position that denies Christian truth about Grace and about Jesus and it is distorted, but actually the LDS church does a lot of this distortion and people get hurt, you can choose just about any of the laws for that. Like everything there is context. Of course there is a whole load of stuff that they did seem to pull out of nowhere that has nothing to do with the Bible, you could say they pulled it out of a hat, (could you not Rich!! Ha, that was a good joke!) :) (Well, that I made anyway, trouble is the joke has been on many of us)

Rainfeather
Post  Post subject: Re: How does the LDS church determine if you are tithing 10%  |  Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:12 pm

My Bishop told me to pay my tithing first and the other bills would fall into place. I got food one time. I said, "Okay, so which bill should I not pay? My rent maybe?" I was left with $8 per week for food.

Wm.Law
Post  Post subject: Re: How does the LDS church determine if you are tithing 10%  |  Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:40 pm
1st Counselor Bishopric

I have a Christian friend who is a financial counselor. He has numerous clients who are Mormon. He is of the opinion that they specifically chose him to avoid going to one of the Brethren who would then know how much they were making off their investments.

And if I die tonight, Would it all make sense?
And if I die tonight, Would the wind chip away at my soul forever?
"Goodbye Tonight"
Seether Isolate and Medicate

ecravn
Post  Post subject: Re: How does the LDS church determine if you are tithing 10%  |  Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:02 pm
Nursery

Thanks all for your answers!! I was curious about how all of that worked.

Although about getting help from the ward (for people who wish to pay a full tithe but can't make the payments) what I have read elsewhere is that such help would be subject to scrutiny about the persons expenses and that even things like a monthly cable TV payment would be questioned. Not sure if this is entirely correct though(?)

Rainfeather
Post  Post subject: Re: How does the LDS church determine if you are tithing 10%  |  Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:28 pm

Oh, yeah, definitely. I've had friends whose Bishops told them to move to a cheaper apartment, or get a new job.

productofchoice
Post  Post subject: Re: How does the LDS church determine if you are tithing 10%  |  Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:44 am
God

Or eliminate car debt/payments, cell phone plans, internet coverage, cable tv, etc. and getting them on a tight budget. The spoken goal is to get the person self sufficient and no longer dependent on the church. Dad was a bishop and had a financial planner on his staff and he worked with people ... which overall is a pretty good thing.

Of course, I've never seen them as a place where you can take the "Financial Peace University" classes that Dave Ramsey teaches/sponsors.

Peace

"For nothing is secret, that shall not be made manifest; neither any thing hid, that shall not be known and come abroad." - Luke 8:17

Abinadi
Post  Post subject: Re: How does the LDS church determine if you are tithing 10%  |  Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:45 pm

Rainfeather wrote:
My Bishop told me to pay my tithing first and the other bills would fall into place. I got food one time. I said, "Okay, so which bill should I not pay? My rent maybe?" I was left with $8 per week for food.
Oh, yes, that sure sounds familiar. I did try it, too. Later, I attended other churches. Some - I guess they are what fall under the rubrics cults - and this alone is one reason for putting them there - not that they are full-fledged cults, but they have "cultish practices" - continue to say that to this present day. After I followed the rules, and "proved" my faith, and saw that I did not get the necessary "blessings" to pay other bills, I decided I had to use wisdom as well as faith. No matter what I might believe, I need to act practically and responsibly. So if I had a bill, I'd pay it. I took a sort of RLDS view - after my bills were paid, I would figure out how much of what is left I wish to donate (donate, not "tithe") to a church or charity. And nowadays it's to charities I donate rather than to churches. Nothing against donating to churches if that's what a person wants. But I believe my money goes further and helps more if it goes directly to a charity rather than directly to the budget of a church with building and paid employees.

"Everyone has to find his own path." - Ip-Man

ecravn
Post  Post subject: Re: How does the LDS church determine if you are tithing 10%  |  Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:14 pm
Nursery

Thank you all for your responses!

productofchoice
Post  Post subject: Re: How does the LDS church determine if you are tithing 10%  |  Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:10 am
God

BTW, it's a very interesting study to look at the various tithes listed in the Bible and what they were. Never have I heard a preacher, Mormon or otherwise, press people about the tithe in Deuteronomy 14:22-26.

And the key verses in Malachi that get brought up again and again? Read those again and see who the intended audience of that book is.

It's dangerous when you read another person's mail and pay another person's bills.

You can't keep a rule the wrong way and call yourself a rule keeper.

Peace