View unanswered posts
View active topics
It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:10 pm


Which wheel do you fail to spin, ensuring the upper 10%?  
Wheel #1 - Wealth 0% 0  0% 
Wheel #2 - Beauty 33% 2  33% 
Wheel #3 - Intelligence 50% 3  50% 
Walk out of the room and enter the door with the green light 17% 1  17% 
Total votes : 6

Author Message
thews
Post  Post subject: What if you could choose part of your fate?  |  Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:58 am
User avatar
1st Presidency

Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 2:58 pm
Posts: 898

Offline
Hypothetical scenario: You are killed in an accident involving many people. After the accident, you see all the souls that perished with you, but no one speaks. A door opens up, and green light emanates from it. You watch as all the other souls walk towards the door and through it, but you can't go towards the door. The closer you get to the door, the more you feel it push you away. A second door opens up, emanating blue light, and you feel drawn to it.

You walk through the door alone, and inside is a chair and a table, and on the table is three devices with wheels attached to them (they function sort of like the wheel in the game "Life") and are marked 1, 2 and 3. You touch one of the devices, twisting its center and spinning it. As the wheel turns, colors change, but you don't know what the colors mean. The wheel stops, and once it does, a letter appears on the table, written in calligraphy. The Letter reads as follows:

Dear (insert your name here),

I have chosen you to live a second life, but only if you choose to. The purpose of your next life will not be known to you until it's over, but I believe it's in your best interest to choose to live a second life on earth. If you choose not to, then exit this room and walk through the door with the green light. If you chose to live another life, spin two of the three wheels on the table. The wheels represent where you will be placed regarding, Wealth, Beauty, and Intelligence. Once the wheel has been spun, it will dictate where you'll be placed in each category. The first two wheels you spin will determine this, but the third wheel, the one you won't spin, will place you in the upper 10% automatically. There is no correct answer, nor is the outcome of the wheels you do spin known.

You look at the wheels knowing once you spin one of them you have made the choice to live another life. You also know that the two wheels you spin will dictate your fate in those two categories randomly. Which wheel do you choose not to spin to ensure the upper 10 percentile?

Wheel #1 - Wealth
Wheel #2 - Beauty
Wheel #3 - Intelligence

You consider the following:

Choosing wealth would probably put you in an environment where life would be easier, as you'd be born into the upper 10% of wealth on the earth. You could be a dumb, ugly, wealthy person, or a beautiful, intelligent wealthy person, but you would ensure you'd be born into wealth.

Choosing beauty would ensure you would be happy with your physical body. You could be a dumb, wealthy, beautiful person, or an intelligent, poor, beautiful person, but you would always be content with your physical body.

Choosing intelligence could put you anywhere on the planet, as could other choices, but if you were in the upper 10% of intelligence, you could be very poor and have limited options in using it. You could however have brains, beauty and wealth, and you realize you're only choosing one category that ensures you'll be in the top 10%.

What do you do?

_________________
Tim 4:3 For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine..they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths.


Top
indy_jh
Post  Post subject: Re: What if you could choose part of your fate?  |  Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:28 am
Interesting question, Thews...

However, it only took me about 2 seconds to decide.

I would spin the beauty and intelligence wheels. Knowing what I know now, a person can always have an extreme make-over IF they can afford it. Plus, I've placed in the top 10% on several tests, and my smarts haven't gotten me jack s***...

SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!!


Top
thews
Post  Post subject: Re: What if you could choose part of your fate?  |  Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:49 am
User avatar
1st Presidency

Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 2:58 pm
Posts: 898

Offline
indy_jh wrote:
Interesting question, Thews...

However, it only took me about 2 seconds to decide.

I would spin the beauty and intelligence wheels. Knowing what I know now, a person can always have an extreme make-over IF they can afford it. Plus, I've placed in the top 10% on several tests, and my smarts haven't gotten me jack s***...

SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!!

That's an interesting response, and the logic behind it could be much deeper than the superficial would appear. One could conclude the greater the wealth they were born into, the greater potential impact they would have on humanity. Not knowing why they were chosen to go again, thoughts of having some grand purpose may be part of it? There is no "correct" answer... I know what I'd pick, but I don't want to say it until a few others pick. Please select in the poll. No one will know what you picked if you don't want to divulge the answer. danka.

_________________
Tim 4:3 For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine..they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths.


Top
indy_jh
Post  Post subject: Re: What if you could choose part of your fate?  |  Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:10 pm
You know, I think I answered (with my tongue embedded firmly in my cheek...) a bit too quickly.

In thinking about it a bit more (while taking a shower and brushing my teeth -- activities which have historically produced great cerebral moments in my past), I think I'd like to change my answer.

Statistically speaking, being in the top 10% of the world's wealthiest is not that great. In fact, I would argue that even in my meager circumstances, I'm probably close or already there right now.

I know that beauty can be bought to a certain extent, but I've known a lot of gorgeous people who never attained any level of happiness simply from their beauty. In fact, to the contrary, they seemed obsessed with maintaining it and actually less happy than others who just didn't seem to care so much.

So, that brings me back to intelligence. It's difficult to determine our real intelligence relative to another -- that much has been proven many times. However, I guess I would argue that a stupid person could easily reduce him/herself from riches to rags quickly enough that simply having money without some level of intelligence might be meaningless. Likewise, what can money do for someone who might be perpetually in the dark intellectually? What kind of happiness could that bring?

So, in hindsight, (and since I haven't answered the official questionnaire at the top yet), I would like to say, I'll take the top 10% in brains. It's probably the safest bet...


Top
Rainfeather
Post  Post subject: Re: What if you could choose part of your fate?  |  Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:42 pm
User avatar
MODERATOR

Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:46 pm
Posts: 6226

Offline
Quote:
Plus, I've placed in the top 10% on several tests, and my smarts haven't gotten me jack s***.


Same here. LOL In fact, sometimes I think that people with a more average intelligence are happier. The smarter you are, the more complicated life seems to be. I think too much. I have to know everything. It's never a very comfortable existence.

I could choose wealth. That way, no matter what you look like, you can buy anything.

However, I think I may go with the superficial one - beauty. The reason? Well, I do agree that sometimes ugly is better, because no matter how old you get, you still just stay ugly. And you'll always know that your friends are your friends because they like you, and not because they like to be around you because you're beautiful. The beautiful people always have to wonder if someone likes them for them, or for their looks. And because everything is based on their looks, they freak when they start losing those looks.

But, I wanna know what that's like. When I was younger, I was average pretty, but I've never been a beauty. Middle-age has not been kind to me. But I want to know what it's like to have doors open for you because of your looks. I want to know what it's like to have a beautiful body and not have to be embarrassed because the seatbelt doesn't fit.

I've had a life where I'm pretty much over-looked. I just want to know what it's like to be looked over, and have people even do a double-take as I walk by. It's a scary thought, because what happens when we do lose our youth? But I just want to know what it's like anyway.

_________________
"A mind stretched by a new idea can never go back to its original dimensions." - Oliver Wendell Holmes


Top
Life Rocks
Post  Post subject: Re: What if you could choose part of your fate?  |  Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:12 pm
User avatar
God

Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:00 am
Posts: 1152
Location: Walnut California

Offline
I heard someone once say that "The Glory of God is intelligence". (Just thought I'd throw that in here)

I spent years and years studying and going for experiences, thinking I was getting smarter and sharper only to realize that intelligence is a fleeting thing. The older I got and saw just how big the world was, I realized how I was just scratching the surface. There is so much to know, I'm wondering intelligent about what? compared to what? My 10 year old knows more know that most of the adults that lived before him.

I've seen people that were as dumb as a brick that were really good looking.

I've seen people that had incredible wealth that had neither looks or seemed particularly smart.

_________________
"The price we pay for the security we think we have is the life we could have lived."
"What you do shouts so loudly, I cannot hear what you say." Emerson
"The greatest risk is not taking one."


Top
nevermollymo
Post  Post subject: Re: What if you could choose part of your fate?  |  Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:14 pm
I have a 19 year old niece that is beautiful - drop dead gorgeous. She has dark brown hair, clear blue eyes, and a very nice figure. But with her beauty also came a HUGE need for acceptance and approval. So she's been taken advantage of lots of times, and she's very easily succumbed to peer pressure. She has put herself in positions where we think she's been raped, and she has a lot of issues related to that. She's popped lots of pills, which have done some real damage to her brain.

She thinks she's ugly. Hideously ugly. She was recently diagnosed with body dysmorphia - she truly cannot see how she really looks!

My point? Beauty's not always what it's cracked up to be.

I vote intelligence.


Top
Rainfeather
Post  Post subject: Re: What if you could choose part of your fate?  |  Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:33 pm
User avatar
MODERATOR

Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:46 pm
Posts: 6226

Offline
Quote:
My point? Beauty's not always what it's cracked up to be.


I would agree. It's probably not the smartest of the choices, but since I've always wondered what it would be like, I chose that one. Even though it might not be the easiest of the three. Otherwise, I'd take the money and run. :mrgreen:

_________________
"A mind stretched by a new idea can never go back to its original dimensions." - Oliver Wendell Holmes


Top
Abinadi
Post  Post subject: Re: What if you could choose part of your fate?  |  Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:58 pm
User avatar
MODERATOR

Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:23 am
Posts: 7887
Location: D&C 121:39

Offline
One life is enough.
If my character is the same, I'd probably repeat the same mistakes, and accomplish the same or similar things.
If i were 10 or 20 or 30 or 40, I might try again,
because I know (now) that in years beyond those years,
I could still change things about my character,
which in my present age don't seem to be showing much capactiy for real change.
I turn towards the light, the green light,
and approach my destiny calm and fulfilled.


Top
ozma_dude_101
Post  Post subject: Re: What if you could choose part of your fate?  |  Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:25 pm
I vote wealth. I'm not the smartest person in the world and never will be, but the one thing I need to know about life is that you have GOT to enjoy it, cause it's not going to happen again. And enjoying life to the fullest doesn't always come cheap. I'm not talking about stopping and enjoying the everyday things, beautiful sunshine, a nice breeze...all those things are wonderful to me, but I don't have to be rich to appreciate them. I want to see the world, see what sunshine looks like in Rome, or Africa. I want to feel what it would feel like to not have to worry about paying bills, or rent, or how my credit is. Wheater or not I can afford the house I want to buy, etc. That type of carefree nature I'd like to enjoy doesn't come cheap. Keep the beauty, keep the intellect,,,,I'll take the money.


Top
thews
Post  Post subject: Re: What if you could choose part of your fate?  |  Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:05 pm
User avatar
1st Presidency

Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 2:58 pm
Posts: 898

Offline
ozma_dude_101 wrote:
I vote wealth. I'm not the smartest person in the world and never will be, but the one thing I need to know about life is that you have GOT to enjoy it, cause it's not going to happen again. And enjoying life to the fullest doesn't always come cheap. I'm not talking about stopping and enjoying the everyday things, beautiful sunshine, a nice breeze...all those things are wonderful to me, but I don't have to be rich to appreciate them. I want to see the world, see what sunshine looks like in Rome, or Africa. I want to feel what it would feel like to not have to worry about paying bills, or rent, or how my credit is. Wheater or not I can afford the house I want to buy, etc. That type of carefree nature I'd like to enjoy doesn't come cheap. Keep the beauty, keep the intellect,,,,I'll take the money.

I asked my girlfriend this question, and she said the same thing... wealth. She was born into poverty, though she's very pretty and intelligent. I guess one driving aspect would be what you were deprived of in the first life, or cherished so much you'd want it again.

_________________
Tim 4:3 For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine..they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths.


Top
thews
Post  Post subject: Re: What if you could choose part of your fate?  |  Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:10 pm
User avatar
1st Presidency

Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 2:58 pm
Posts: 898

Offline
Abinadi wrote:
One life is enough.
If my character is the same, I'd probably repeat the same mistakes, and accomplish the same or similar things.
If i were 10 or 20 or 30 or 40, I might try again,
because I know (now) that in years beyond those years,
I could still change things about my character,
which in my present age don't seem to be showing much capactiy for real change.
I turn towards the light, the green light,
and approach my destiny calm and fulfilled.

This answer clearly takes the most guts. While the instruction stated you could choose not to go again, the instruction says, "I think it would be in your best interest.." There is no definition the instruction came from God, or what the consequences were, if there were any? This could be some sort of "test" where the intended answer was to not go again? Interesting.

edit to add: WHat if you chose not to go, but missed a life that was really cool. What if you had it all in the next life, and the only thing you missed by not going was experiencing it?

_________________
Tim 4:3 For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine..they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths.


Top
insanad
Post  Post subject: Re: What if you could choose part of your fate?  |  Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:54 pm
User avatar
Moderator (Retired)

Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:46 pm
Posts: 6059
Location: Kolobian highlands

Offline
Actually I've thought about this fairly often. I have two sisters and they were always considered the "Pretty" ones. We'd go somewhere and they'd get the obvious attention one gives to pretty girls and then in consolation someone would say, "Oh, you must be the SMART one". For a girl this was like a kick in the teeth. We are conditioned from birth to be sweet and demure and ladylike and to be pretty is a guarantee for better acceptance in life.

So by about the fourth grade I knew I wasn't going to be the "Pretty" one and decided to just have lots of fun. By HS I was having more fun than either of my sisters and dating more, although most of the boys thought I was more like a fun kid sister than someone to make out with.

I had to develop a sense of humor to overcome the lack of physical beauty and the best way to be funny was to be sort of smart, even smart enough to play dumb if the occasion required it. I've had wayyy more fun being smart than they've had being pretty.

I used to design homes for some really wealthy people and except for maybe two couples, I have yet to meet genuinely HAPPY wealthy folks. In fact, I think some are far more unhappy and difficult to get along with and ultimately lonlier than many dirt poor people. Some of the happiest people I know live incredibly simply and even a harsh existence, but they are together out of genuine love and appreciation for what they have and not what they don't have.

On the other hand, poverty sucks. I've been poor most of my life. I'm ready to have it all, beauty, wealth, and intelligence. I don't want to choose. I want it all and whatever is behind the green door too. Give it to me or I'll throw a tantrum.

_________________
Image

Pissing in the Mormon Koolaide one post at a time. LIE PINOCCHIO!!! LIE!!!!


Top
thews
Post  Post subject: Re: What if you could choose part of your fate?  |  Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:17 pm
User avatar
1st Presidency

Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 2:58 pm
Posts: 898

Offline
insanad wrote:
Actually I've thought about this fairly often. I have two sisters and they were always considered the "Pretty" ones. We'd go somewhere and they'd get the obvious attention one gives to pretty girls and then in consolation someone would say, "Oh, you must be the SMART one". For a girl this was like a kick in the teeth. We are conditioned from birth to be sweet and demure and ladylike and to be pretty is a guarantee for better acceptance in life.

So by about the fourth grade I knew I wasn't going to be the "Pretty" one and decided to just have lots of fun. By HS I was having more fun than either of my sisters and dating more, although most of the boys thought I was more like a fun kid sister than someone to make out with.

I had to develop a sense of humor to overcome the lack of physical beauty and the best way to be funny was to be sort of smart, even smart enough to play dumb if the occasion required it. I've had wayyy more fun being smart than they've had being pretty.

I used to design homes for some really wealthy people and except for maybe two couples, I have yet to meet genuinely HAPPY wealthy folks. In fact, I think some are far more unhappy and difficult to get along with and ultimately lonlier than many dirt poor people. Some of the happiest people I know live incredibly simply and even a harsh existence, but they are together out of genuine love and appreciation for what they have and not what they don't have.

On the other hand, poverty sucks. I've been poor most of my life. I'm ready to have it all, beauty, wealth, and intelligence. I don't want to choose. I want it all and whatever is behind the green door too. Give it to me or I'll throw a tantrum.

It's hard to make me laugh right now but you still do. For the record, I'm going again in this scenario. I'm ex Air Force, and six years sort of tweaks your head when it comes to taking instruction. I worked on the electrical support system for nukes. I've seen them ten feet away, the actual bombs... no big deal. The cops that were sent with us when we went out, were told that in case of some sort of attack, if one of us were held hostage by an attacker, they were instructed to shoot through us to kill them. They were not to think about this, and we were to know this is what was going to happen. if given this instruction, I would take a subservient role and just accept it's what I'm supposed to do. The first wheel I'd spin, would be wealth. That's the one I'd care least about, but I grew up in a nice place. But, given the choice, I'd shoot the moon on that one first.

_________________
Tim 4:3 For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine..they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths.


Top
insanad
Post  Post subject: Re: What if you could choose part of your fate?  |  Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:24 pm
User avatar
Moderator (Retired)

Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:46 pm
Posts: 6059
Location: Kolobian highlands

Offline
Thews, if I can make an ass of myself and it makes you laugh, then I will wear the dunce hat any day. Laughter is all I can offer in some cases.

So a priest goes into the nunnery and says, "We found a case of Syphillus among our charges.". The head nun says, "Ohh good, I'm so tired of that flat Chabliss in the basement".

_________________
Image

Pissing in the Mormon Koolaide one post at a time. LIE PINOCCHIO!!! LIE!!!!


Top
thews
Post  Post subject: Re: What if you could choose part of your fate?  |  Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:38 pm
User avatar
1st Presidency

Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 2:58 pm
Posts: 898

Offline
insanad wrote:
Thews, if I can make an ass of myself and it makes you laugh, then I will wear the dunce hat any day. Laughter is all I can offer in some cases.

So a priest goes into the nunnery and says, "We found a case of Syphillus among our charges.". The head nun says, "Ohh good, I'm so tired of that flat Chabliss in the basement".

:D Here's my favorite joke...

A guy drives by a sign that says, "Talking dog for sale $200". At first he blows it off, but decides he has to check this out. He pulls over and walks up to the house. A man answers and tells him the dog is out back, and he'd be out in a minute or two. The guy walks over to the dog and says, "Hey." The dog replies, "Hey." The guy freaks out and starts talking to the dog, asking him questions about his past. The dog says, "Well, after they found out I could talk, they trained me for secret missions. I've cracked more top secret plans than anyone else ever born, serving on many missions. Then word got out and they retired me. I was put into a pen with another dog and we had some puppies, but none of them could talk. We tried again... same thing. Now I'm stuck with this asshole in this pen out in BF Egypt." The guy walks back to the house, and the owner walks out. The guy says, "Why are you selling him so cheap?" The owner replies, "You know all that s*** he just told you? He's a liar."

_________________
Tim 4:3 For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine..they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths.


Top
insanad
Post  Post subject: Re: What if you could choose part of your fate?  |  Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:17 pm
User avatar
Moderator (Retired)

Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:46 pm
Posts: 6059
Location: Kolobian highlands

Offline
That's one of my favorites too Thews. I hope I can keep you laughing through the tears.

_________________
Image

Pissing in the Mormon Koolaide one post at a time. LIE PINOCCHIO!!! LIE!!!!


Top
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Print view

Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
Jump to:   
cron

Delete all board cookies | The team | All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group.