View unanswered posts
View active topics
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:18 pm

dargo69636
Post  Post subject: Are we our Beliefs?  |  Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:38 pm
CTR A

This isn't about Mormonism as much as it is about belief. I am trying to figure out why, if I make light of something someone believes, that is akin to insulting the person that believes it? Do people think that they are their beliefs? That they are one in the same? Or does it happen mostly to Mormons because they think they have a monopoly on truth?

If I tell someone that they can't wear a white tie unless they wear a bakers hat too, that's funny to me. And I don't see anything wrong with not taking religious beliefs too seriously, even my own.

What I don't get is how if I make a jab at, say, alien abductions, I am insulting those that think there is something to it. Why so Serious?

Is it a rise in extremism or is it death throes or am I just a bigot?

BornAgainChristian
Post  Post subject: Re: Are we our Beliefs?  |  Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:53 am
Bishop

Location: Southern US (yes, there really is life outside of UT & post LDS)

All folks want to feel validated, heard, & understood, no matter how crazy they might sound. When we make light of their beliefs, it's a personal insult