View unanswered posts
View active topics
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:02 pm

BornAgainChristian
  Post  Post subject: Who sponsors this group & what is their purpose?  |  Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:07 pm
Bishop

Location: Southern US (yes, there really is life outside of UT & post LDS)

Who runs this site & why? Is it pro born-again Christianity or just anti-LDS? I'm a deeply spiritual non religious born-again ex-LDS so I'm curious to know who sponsors the site & what the main purpose or goal of this group really is

productofchoice
Post  Post subject: Re: Who sponsors this group & what is their purpose?  |  Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:44 pm
God

Born,

Infy is kind enough to provide and maintain this site. It's a site about recovery which does not slant towards any affiliation even though some of the members have an expressed opinion. Again, it's about recovery and healing not converting. There are other more combative sites out there and some that are much more Born-again and probably many other flavors.

Peace

"For nothing is secret, that shall not be made manifest; neither any thing hid, that shall not be known and come abroad." - Luke 8:17

BornAgainChristian
Post  Post subject: Re: Who sponsors this group & what is their purpose?  |  Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:12 pm
Bishop

Thanks for your prompt reply! Yes, I have noticed most people who have sought me out did so not truly to help me but to convert me to their faith. Most were never even LDS. So, I've become leery of those who help me because most have their own faith they wish to promote instead. As a thinker & a skeptic, I have trouble being loyally affiliated w/ any religious group long term- it's just against my nature. Thanks for your support! :-D

joseph's myth
Post  Post subject: Re: Who sponsors this group & what is their purpose?  |  Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:13 am
God of Poly-Folly

Hey bornagain,
This is real community, maybe somewhat like you haven't yet experienced, maybe better than what you have to yet experience. I don't know.

You're alright with curbing the BA thing, right?

{If you believe in things that you don't understand, then you suffer ~Stevie Wonder}
.................. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekkkD8HU944
........................ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekkkD8HU944

God of Poly-Folly Folly

BornAgainChristian
Post  Post subject: Re: Who sponsors this group & what is their purpose?  |  Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:40 pm
Bishop

You mean in terms of aggressively evangelizing others? Yes, that's fine- I have no desire to really impose any new set of beliefs on other members. I realize all of us here have been very wounded by LDS church here & many of us are very frightened to rejoin any other church due to our painful LDS past.

Infymus
Post  Post subject: Re: Who sponsors this group & what is their purpose?  |  Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:53 am
Founder

BornAgainChristian wrote:
Who runs this site & why? Is it pro born-again Christianity or just anti-LDS? I'm a deeply spiritual non religious born-again ex-LDS so I'm curious to know who sponsors the site & what the main purpose or goal of this group really is

I run this site. I also run the Mormon Curtain.

The Ex-Mormon Forums are neutral ground. We do not advocate any religion. We also hope that those leaving Mormonism do not jump into another religion without thinking about it first. Regardless, it is up to the individual to move on.

No, we are not Anti-LDS although you will find a lot of that here simply because there are many stages of recovery from Mormonism. There is a lot of hurt and a lot of anger you feel when you leave and find out the real truth behind the cult.

You can read the rules here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=160

The Ex-Mormon Forums are a place for Ex-Mormons AND for Mormons looking to leave Mormonism - whatever stage you may be in - to post messages and get answers. Come here to recover, come here for friendship, stay as long as you want or as long as it takes.

It is a place to recover and find comfort in others who share your feelings and frustrations concerning Mormonism – whatever your stage may be. We have all stages of Mormonism here, from just beginning to find out the truth behind Mormonism – to those who have resigned and have been out for years.

BornAgainChristian
Post  Post subject: Re: Who sponsors this group & what is their purpose?  |  Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:09 pm
Bishop

Is there a process for formally quitting the group & deleting account when a person feels it's their time to? Or is it as impossible as leaving LDS church?

Abinadi
Post  Post subject: Re: Who sponsors this group & what is their purpose?  |  Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:14 pm

This is like any other forum. You're free to leave, come back tomorrow or next year or never.

A couple of people have had some very, very difficult situations come up in their lives. I think they just asked Infymus or a Moderator to remove them - =them= I accidentally wrote "you", sorry.

I never banned anyone. I leave that up to the Administrator-in-Chief, namely Infymus. If you have a problem with your account or want to have it removed, you probably should contact him.

BornAgainChristian
Post  Post subject: Re: Who sponsors this group & what is their purpose?  |  Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:01 pm
Bishop

I'm experiencing trust issues again because a PM is being ignored Abinadi.

joseph's myth
Post  Post subject: Re: Who sponsors this group & what is their purpose?  |  Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:31 pm
God of Poly-Folly

This place is great, and there is much more to it than that which may first meet the eye. If somebody is a little tired or the chemistry is a little bit off with anyone in particular, try not to sweat it too awful much. Especially if the recovery (even if spread out over the years) is finally beginning to really take place. I'd say these people are some of the most trustworthy on the planet. Maybe you have yourself a real live alien, I don't know. lol

{If you believe in things that you don't understand, then you suffer ~Stevie Wonder}

God of Poly-Folly Folly

ojoyo
Post  Post subject: Re: Who sponsors this group & what is their purpose?  |  Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:20 pm
Priest

I'm not sure who is ignoring your pm, but it may be an innocent mistake. When I first started on these forums, I missed a few pm's just because I didn't know where to look for them! LOL I promise I am not forum or computer illiterate.

BornAgainChristian
Post  Post subject: Re: Who sponsors this group & what is their purpose?  |  Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:31 pm
Bishop

Abinadi is the 1 ignoring my PM, which makes me feel a bit awkward & uncomfortable.

BornAgainChristian
Post  Post subject: Re: Who sponsors this group & what is their purpose?  |  Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:37 pm
Bishop

Well, my intro could easily identify myself to family or my ex if they're here.

joseph's myth
Post  Post subject: Re: Who sponsors this group & what is their purpose?  |  Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:41 pm
God of Poly-Folly

Well, my intro could easily identify myself to family or my ex if they're here.

Oh! He already said in a recent post that he could not be here very much or very active at all. Can you open that particular thread of concern and edit out the part(s) you may be worried about.

Note: Edit click is bottom right.

God of Poly-Folly Folly

BornAgainChristian
Post  Post subject: Re: Who sponsors this group & what is their purpose?  |  Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:54 pm
Bishop

Right! My husband has barred me from having any contact w/ any of my exes because his ex cheated on him & there was a restraining order w/ my family. If I unintentionally connect w/ any of them here, I'll probably resign.

Arrrgh
Post  Post subject: Re: Who sponsors this group & what is their purpose?  |  Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:23 pm
Sunbeam

Right! My husband has barred me from having any contact w/ any of my exes because his ex cheated on him & there was a restraining order w/ my family. If I unintentionally connect w/ any of them here, I'll probably resign.

Ah. The typical family....

BornAgainChristian
Post  Post subject: Re: Who sponsors this group & what is their purpose?  |  Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:56 pm
Bishop

lol Arrrgh you mean the typical post LDS family? rofl

Infymus
Post  Post subject: Re: Who sponsors this group & what is their purpose?  |  Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:21 am
Founder

Is there a process for formally quitting the group & deleting account when a person feels it's their time to? Or is it as impossible as leaving LDS church?

The process for formally quitting is you just don't post anymore. I don't delete accounts because it deletes all of the threads - but does not delete the responses. So you have a ton of threads that have no meaning. Plus, those threads have quoted material. It's not impossible, but it's insanely hard. This is pretty typical for any Internet forum.

joseph's myth
Post  Post subject: Re: Who sponsors this group & what is their purpose?  |  Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:31 am
God of Poly-Folly

Infymus wrote:

The process for formally quitting is you just don't post anymore. I don't delete accounts because it deletes all of the threads - but does not delete the responses. So you have a ton of threads that have no meaning. Plus, those threads have quoted material. It's not impossible, but it's insanely hard. This is pretty typical for any Internet forum.

What! No cookies, no annoying visitors or worse yet, maybe a court-Of-love so common to Mormonism??

God of Poly-Folly Folly

BornAgainChristian
Post  Post subject: Re: Who sponsors this group & what is their purpose?  |  Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:38 am
Bishop

Yes! I was expecting to get tried for suspected adultery at the very least! lol