View unanswered posts
View active topics
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:58 pm

BornAgainChristian
Post  Post subject: Church shopping  |  Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:55 am
Bishop

Location: Southern US (yes, there really is life outside of UT & post LDS)

Well, looks like by default choice has been made for us- liberal Christian church is shutting down due to low attendance & gay pastor leaving. So, my husband & I will probably be attending nondenominational Christian church w/ best rock band & ExLDS ministry, where they do bible studies to convert LDS. The church that's closing its doors wasn't upset by us church shopping & seemed relieved we were already considering other options. Fortunately, since my hubby is content w/ our marriage & not looking to get rid of me, he's accepted my explanation of my former LDS MIA advisor's behavior & written her off as "nuts," though as a follower of Martin Luther & a lifelong Protestant he finds LDS mindset very odd & hard to comprehend. I find it sad yet a relief that our choices are being clarified & narrowed down for us.

joseph's myth
Post  Post subject: Re: Church shopping  |  Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:16 pm
God of Poly-Folly

Imagine that. I returned to a non-denominational sister church Sunday where the Lutheran aspects involved with never allowing FGS (fearguiltshame) to motivate me ever again became revisited.

{If you believe in things that you don't understand, then you suffer ~Stevie Wonder}
.................. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekkkD8HU944
........................ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekkkD8HU944
.................. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekkkD8HU944

God of Poly-Folly Folly

BornAgainChristian
Post  Post subject: Re: Church shopping  |  Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:11 pm
Bishop

right! I still feel gift of Holy Ghost since resigning (despite LDS claims to contrary) & my personal relationship w/ God is still very much intact. But, I'm not dependent on any church or leader for my salvation or relationship w/ Him anymore. I seek Him freely in & out of formal church services out of choice & love, not out of fearguiltshame & social pressure like I did when LDS

teoma2
Post  Post subject: Re: Church shopping  |  Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:40 am
God of Mythbusters

BAC< have had the opportunity to attend and check out any UU units in your proximity? They are as loose, or undemanding, as it gets in their religious context. Wide open.

"Just because you think, feel, or believe something is true, doesn't make it true!"

"The doubt of your faith, is not God testing you, but truth trying to emerge and free you."

BornAgainChristian
Post  Post subject: Re: Church shopping  |  Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:16 am
Bishop

Yes, the UU my husband felt very uncomfortable in due to their pagan group. But, United Church of Christ we both liked but they're the 1 planning to shut their doors next month since they only have about 15 members & their minister is leaving. They still have 5 other vacant positions besides pastor :(

markrichards
Post  Post subject: Re: Church shopping  |  Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:12 am
Teacher

About four months after my divorce, I was walking around mid-town Sacramento one evening and I saw a big sign that said, "Everyone Welcome, Wednesday is Coffee/Cake night." I walked in, not knowing much about the Unitarian/Univeralists. They were nice people. I went back for a few weeks after that. I was invited to attend on Sunday. The man (Dave his real name) was well meaning, and I gave him a brief history of what was happening in my life. He said, "We don't care...come join us anyway. I soon discovered there were some "ex-you name its" in attendance. I was 26 at the time, so the 30 somethings 'seemed' old to me. I will confess, Dave, kept a secret. He did not 'blab' to anyone my background, or the fact that I was newly divorced (left out the sterile part). He just introduced me as "Mark our newest seeker of sanity."

As it is, I found out with U/U, this group was full of 'greenies" (save the earth, environmentalists, disenfranchised/disillusioned former members of main line churches). Maybe I did not notice any pagans, but the 'greenies' were darn close. I did get invites to dinner. An invite to a Thanksgiving pot luck which I attended. They did not have a 'problem' with alcohol, the wine flowed at the Thanksgiving pot luck.

I could have been happy with the U/U's. It just did not seem right and to top it all off, I had a stalker. Dave approached me one Sunday and said, "I know someone that wants to be formally introduced to you." I could not lie and make up an excuse so I went along. This woman was 32 and a single mother. We went out. Politically, she was a water mellon (i.e., green on the outside...red on the inside). She had a very good career, she was a very junior attorney for a 'Big Name" law firm here in Sacramento. She went to U of Oregon and majored in Econ and went to Harvard Law school. I was intimidated by her education since I only had a B.S. and was a very beginning teacher in a public school. She was fascinated (or appeared to be) when I talked about my electronic gizmos (ham radio, testing equipment I mostly built from scrap circuit boards and vacuum tubes. I showed her my 'operation' at my apartment. To my defense, I did not bring her there to....well. We spent hours as I showed her my ham radio operation, talked to people around the world, I showed her my CQ card collection (I guess most people collect baseball cards). She saw a picture of me when I played pro baseball and we talked about that until 3 AM. I drove her home. I walked her to the door and shook her hand. We went out again, her treat on a Thursday. That is when I met the "chief prosecutor.' I thought I was being deposed. She could not figure out why someone like me was still single. I told her a brief history, mentioning the LDS stuff, the divorce. She seemed unaffected by all that, she was a fallen from grace Baptist that, once she announced she was going to keep the baby (not adopt), her church was not kind.

Like I said, the U/U's were an accepting bunch. I just had to leave.

BornAgainChristian
Post  Post subject: Re: Church shopping  |  Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:31 pm
Bishop

Well, no church has control over the various nuts who decide to attend there-just the official policies they have. I agree markrichards- trying to argue or explain anything (whether it's one's marital status or one's religious beliefs) to someone who's not open to understanding them is TRULY a waste of time!