View unanswered posts
View active topics
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:05 pm

markrichards
Post  Post subject: @ Abinadi...Where to immigrate?  |  Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:17 pm
Teacher

O.K. Abinadi here it is......where should one go on this blessed earth.

Personally, I have thought about moving to old British Honduras (now Belize). A guy I knew from my college days moved there about 10 years ago. He tells me with my knowledge of electronics and computers, the locals would consider me a 'god.' Note the little "g". I hate the heat, and I think anything I would make would be 'ate up' in electricity. I do like having some semblance of a 'winter' where I live, even if it is not like growing up in Idaho.

Everybody, post your 'dream' move. Across the street? Across the nation (which ever nation one lives in)? Or across an ocean or continent. :mrgreen:

BornAgainChristian
Post  Post subject: Re: @ Abinadi...Where to immigrate?  |  Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:52 am
Bishop

Location: Southern US (yes, there really is life outside of UT & post LDS)

I'm so tired of moving! I already achieved my dream move & am happy now. And, yes, it took us several years to get it since we lined up jobs 1st. :-D

teoma2
Post  Post subject: Re: @ Abinadi...Where to immigrate?  |  Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:07 am
God of Mythbusters

Hello Mark..I'm here in SEIdaho....as I get older the winters don't have the same attractions as they once had...have you considered the sunny SW US? Low humidity, mopre enjooyable or tolerable winter months..but I would think that the +100* summers could be cookers...

"Just because you think, feel, or believe something is true, doesn't make it true!"

"The doubt of your faith, is not God testing you, but truth trying to emerge and free you."

Abinadi
Post  Post subject: Re: @ Abinadi...Where to immigrate?  |  Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:58 pm

I think Ushaia would be nice. Liechtenstein is another good bet. People used to be able to virtually buy Liechtenstein citizenship. But they were getting too many British and American and other absentee citizens, so now it's harder to get citizenship there. If you actually lived there, and had a good profession as you seem to do, eventually you would get all the privileges and rights of a full citizen. Falklands/Maldives might be cool enough for you, but there's always a risk there will be some fighting, or it will be sold or given to Argentina. That wouldn't bother me, but it would change things, so should be taken into consideration. St. Pierre et Miqulon is French. They vote in France's elections. Outsiders can visit there for a limited time, either a week or two weeks I've forgotten which. But with a specialty like yours, you might be able to get work there. It has a very small population, some tourism, and of course the language is French, not English. I don't know what languages you speak.

Did you mean just the U.S.? Alaska is cool. Minnesota has winters. :D Actually, the Great Lakes states are deadly cold in the winter; I've lived there. Nova Scotia has a burgeoning population; they speak English, hardly any French except up in Cape Breton. If you get too cold, you can do what my relatives there do, spend winters in Florida, like the birds. :D

BornAgainChristian
Post  Post subject: Re: @ Abinadi...Where to immigrate?  |  Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:16 pm
Bishop

Location: Southern US (yes, there really is life outside of UT & post LDS)

I'm in SW US. Summers are cookers- 120! Awful- pure hades! I'd summer up North if we had the $ & were retired (but we're not). But snowfree winters are worth it. Better for my arthritic joints & best of all, away from our families. My good Catholic in-laws were dumping all their offspring on us for free, unlimited babysitting services- just like my good LDS birth parents :(

Abinadi
Post  Post subject: Re: @ Abinadi...Where to immigrate?  |  Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:11 pm

120 degrees, BAC? Where are you, Death Valley!
I lived in Arizona a while, and it got pretty hot there, but I don't think it was ever that hot.
Winters sometimes felt like the North Pole, though. :)