View unanswered posts
View active topics
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:00 pm

richkelsey.org
Post  Post subject: Telsa Coil - Mark take it from here  |  Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:09 am
God of Elves, Seer Stones and a Hat

Mark,

I would like to read about and see pictures of your telsa coils.
I took an electronic class in 8th grade and we had a Model T coil powered by dry-cell batteries which produced about 10,000 volts; I know that’s not much voltage but it made a small Jacob’s ladder work.

For those who may be interested:
Model T coils have a single set of points on the top, in the form of a relay, converting a DC source to pulsating DC. This provides a build and collapse in the transformer’s primary coil which results in the larger voltage transmitted to the coil's secondary winding.

With a telsa coil, people usually start with Alternating Current of 60 cycles per second, provided by the wall socket. Then, they boast that voltage up to about 10,000 volts before it enters the primary winding on the telsa coil. Mark, would you please take it from here… with pictures and your own narrative.

markrichards
Post  Post subject: Re: Telsa Coil - Mark take it from here  |  Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:35 pm
Teacher

O.K. late sunday night, so I will be quick.

Nikola Tesla is the one you have to thank for alternating current. Tesla went to work for Edison, and Edison hired (or put Tesla to work) on working on increasing the efficiency of the D.C. power transmission lines in use at the time. D.C. power was subject to incredible amounts of line loss (power goes into a line at 12 volts) but with distance the 12 volts may turn into 10 (these numbers are for the sake of argument). Tesla worked on (but it was far from perfect) alternating current induction motors while working for Edison and quit because Edison was a cheap SOB. While away from Edison, Tesla dug ditches and found some backers to fund his experiments. Tesla patented his induction motor to create AC energy. Eventually, Tesla went to work for Westinghouse but he constantly argued with those people as well. Westinghouse did pay Tesla a lot of money. Tesla used his money to fund further experiments.

The coils that were part of my halloween display, was Tesla's experiments in low amperage and high voltage high frequency alternating current electricity. Tesla coils are more of a toy now, something High School kids play with. Tesla envisioned wireless power transmission. With the right coil, one can use a tesla coil to power neon and incandescent lights without wires. The problem with tesla's system, it was a net sum loss, you just might as well wire a bulb into a socket. Tesla envisioned 'free' power for people or not beholden to the power companies. and he thought power could be pulled out of the air "free' anywhere. He came close, but no cigar. Tesla remained bitter toward Edison because Edison burned him on a deal. Tesla even said if Edison gets a Nobel Prize before he did, Tesla would refuse. Tesla also envisioned a 'death ray' which could be used to further the cause of 'peace.' When Tesla died, the U.S. government went to his apartment and took all his papers.

One of the best uses of a tesla coil is in the production of x rays and Tesla worked on perfecting x-ray technology. Tesla coils were used in radio transmissions. As Tesla experimented with radio waves, he claims to have received a extraterrestrial transmission "from Mars." When Marconi sent wireless telegraph transmissions across the Atlantic ocean, 17 patents/inventions of telsa were used. (or so Tesla said).

This is not an extensive history of Tesla. Thumb nail description from memory. As soon as I dig though pictures, I will post. .

richkelsey.org
Post  Post subject: Re: Telsa Coil - Mark take it from here  |  Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:01 am

markrichards wrote:
... Tesla remained bitter toward Edison because Edison burned him on a deal. Tesla even said if Edison gets a Nobel Prize before he did, Tesla would refuse.

I can add a little to your story. Back in the day when Telsa was plugging for AC and worked with Westinghouse to bring it about, Edison who had a DC system played very dirty and had his people publically electrocute animals, including horses to show how dangerous AC was. Edison also backed the introduction of the electric chair; again, to prove how dangerous AC was. The point being: Edison distorted the truth because he loved money more than truth. I don’t like the way Edison went about his buisness.

richkelsey.org
Post  Post subject: Re: Telsa Coil - Mark take it from here  |  Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:11 pm

Mark, I didn’t know you were going to talk about history. There were some downright perverse things our founders of electric power did. Perhaps the worst was a box upon which a woman at a party was asked to stand upon which caused her to… her pants.
Sure, some of these guys were smart, but some were also jerks!

markrichards
Post  Post subject: Re: Telsa Coil - Mark take it from here  |  Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:03 pm
Teacher

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/542679_492060130825710_957524757_n.jpg

I don't know if this is going to work.

The upper picture is a 1/10 of a second exposure using my Nikon FM camera. f.2.0

Lower picture is a two second exposure using same camera.

Film (yes, I still shoot film) was Afga ASA 125 slide film that I could use a standard color development process.

markrichards
Post  Post subject: Re: Telsa Coil - Mark take it from here  |  Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:13 am
Teacher

This is a very small Tesla Coil. No toroid. Held close enough to the coil, a small light bulb or in this case, a fluorescent light. No wires. That is the 'vision' of Tesla, transmission of electricity through the air without wires.

This was a 'paid' job, so I actually painted it and took some time building and making it look clean. It was used at a community/church "Trunk and Treat" safe halloween event. The thin box on the left is the capacitors. The capacitors 'build up the voltage' and help it to 'burst'. (Very non technical terms). This unit used a static spark gap. Static spark gaps have a problem of ion build up which will cause shorting of the circuit. Blowing air through the gaps further improve the spark gaps efficiency by blowing out the sparks (quenching) as they form and help to keep the gap cool. I hooked up a small bathroom vent motor for cooling. The transformer (unseen in picture) was 'salvaged' from an old neon sign I found at a junk yard. The secondary coil, in this case was 1150 turns of 24 gauge wire.

This was a pic of above fired up. The actual hight of this whole thing was four feet. The top (toroid) was made of a dryer vent. I used red tinted shellac to coat the wires on the secondary coil. If the secondary coil is somehow not painted (insulated) the spark from the toroid will create a coronal glow and could short out on secondary coil. The shellac also works to hold the secondary coil wires to the hollow base of the secondary coil.

I don't know how people do it, I scanned these and put them on my Facebook page.

Last edited by markrichards on Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

markrichards
Post  Post subject: Re: Telsa Coil - Mark take it from here  |  Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:15 am
Teacher

ImageThis
Quick and dirty Jacob's Ladder. This was a classroom project in basic coil/transformer technology.

This was a 'paid' job, so I actually painted it and took some time building and making it look clean. It was used at a community/church "Trunk and Treat" safe halloween event. The thin box on the left is the capacitors. The capacitors 'build up the voltage' and help it to 'burst'. (Very non technical terms). This unit used a static spark gap. Static spark gaps have a problem of ion build up which will cause shorting of the circuit. Blowing air through the gaps further improve the spark gaps efficiency by blowing out the sparks (quenching) as they form and help to keep the gap cool. I hooked up a small bathroom vent motor for cooling. The transformer (unseen in picture) was 'salvaged' from an old neon sign I found at a junk yard. The secondary coil, in this case was 1150 turns of 24 gauge wire.

This was a pic of above fired up. The actual hight of this whole thing was four feet. The top (toroid) was made of a dryer vent. I used red tinted shellac to coat the wires on the secondary coil. If the secondary coil is somehow not painted (insulated) the spark from the toroid will create a coronal glow and could short out on secondary coil. The shellac also works to hold the secondary coil wires to the hollow base of the secondary coil.

I don't know how people do it, I scanned these and put them on my Facebook page.