View unanswered posts
View active topics
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:51 am

BornAgainChristian
  Post  Post subject: Legal LDS name change  |  Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:31 pm
Bishop

Location: Southern US (yes, there really is life outside of UT & post LDS)

My parents gave me a name w/ uniquely LDS meanings- sort of like Abinadi. Only problem is, it draws me into political & religious discussions when people inquire about its unique meaning & it's awkward to have a lifelong assignment of a LDS missionary name when I'm not TBM & now exLDS. But, to get my husband & others calling me a new name at almost 40 would be hard. Any suggestions on how to deal w/ all LDS/ Romney questions I get?

Abinadi
Post  Post subject: Re: Legal LDS name change  |  Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:19 pm

One of the local leaders of the Aaronic Order where I lived was named Mahonri. When someone asked about his unusual name, he used it as a door opener to talk about his religion and its differences from Mormonism.

It depends on what your name is. Maybe it can be changed slightly. There aren't very many uniquely Mormon names for women. I hope it's not Rameumptom :D "Bountiful" is a nice pre-colonial name. :) A friend of mine wanted to signal a major change in her life. She dropped her nick-name and took her official name. Others have dropped their first name and asked people to call them by whatever their middle name was. It all boils down to this: "You are the boss of you." You pick the name you want people to call you by, and tell them to call you by that name. When they lapse, remind them kindly but firmly that you do not appreciate being called by your "old" name; you want to be called by your "proper" name.

BornAgainChristian
Post  Post subject: Re: Legal LDS name change  |  Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:41 pm
Bishop

Location: Southern US (yes, there really is life outside of UT & post LDS)

Thanks y'all! That's great advice. I might keep my name the same after all now that the election is over since Obama lost. LDS aspect is losing interest to outsiders. :-D Hooray!

Last edited by BornAgainChristian on Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wm.Law
Post  Post subject: Re: Legal LDS name change  |  Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:04 pm
1st Counselor Bishopric

Obviously you can't (and shouldn't) tell us what your given name is as it would (since it is so unique) immediately identify you, but I am curious. What feminine-sounding, made-up names would cause the average gentile to think you are a Mormon? I am going to hazard a few guesses:

Mormonia
Mormonella
Mormondra
Mormona
Mormontha
Mormonah
Mormonley
Mormonlia
Mormonlyn

(Song: You Can Sometimes Tell a Mormon by Their Name).

You can sometimes tell a Mormon by their name
Other people don’t do naming quite the same.
Any roster, roll or list,
Any ship or bus or plane,
In a book or in the news
Do you need me to explain, that
You can sometimes tell a Mormon by their name.

And if I die tonight, Would it all make sense?
And if I die tonight, Would the wind chip away at my soul forever?
"Goodbye Tonight"
Seether Isolate and Medicate